Over in the RevGalBlogPals Facebook group, my friend Julie Woods Rennick offers today’s Friday 5:
It’s mid October. In the northern hemisphere the days are shortening, leaves are falling and the earth is getting ready for a winter sleep. The season of comfort foods and bedding down is here! What are the things that qualify for comfort and ease in your life? Are there routines that you look forward to at this time of year?
Here are my five. Please share your responses in the comments below, or on your own blog (with a link here in the comments, so I can go read your five).
- The feeling of crawling into bed the first time I make it up with flannel sheets.
- The morning air, cool enough to give energy, and not yet cold enough to bite.
- A Crock-Pot simmering with soup or chili and sending its tempting aroma throughout the house.
- Sitting in my favorite chair with a quilt on my lap, and watching the first really big snow storm swirl outside (as long as I don’t lose power). And then my dog Sadie’s sense of amazement the first time she steps outside and the snow comes almost up to her belly.
- Cold weather foods from the cookbooks and kitchens of my Swedish relatives: potatiskorv (meat and potato sausage, homemade when i was growing up), rice pudding (the baked custard kind, with raisins), kringlar (think of it as a Swedish bagel in the shape of a pretzel), and julglög (mulled wine with brandy and vodka for extra anti-freeze properties).
Those are my five. I’d love to read yours, either in the comments below or on your blog.